Richard,
I don't know much about the .pac personally but I do use a .pac file to
allow me to connect my laptop to my home network and my office network
without having to change proxy settings.

The contents of that file is:

function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), "192.168.1.0", "255.255.255.0"))
return "PROXY 192.168.1.3:8080";
else
return "DIRECT";
}

Some links I found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config

http://www.craigjconsulting.com/proxypac.html

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_Systems/Windows/XP
/Q_22487983.html

There is a gotcha that I have encountered.
IE. If you require any proxy advanced settings you may have issues.

Norm Dennis