Scott Klement wrote:

Hi Paul,

I am noticing a lot of entries in our audit log with the type of T-PW
(Invalid password entered), but are generated from the job QTVDEVICE
user QTCP.

QTVDEVICE is the name of the job where virtual devices are created and
set up with the appropriate parameters, to be used in a TN5250 session.
It's a component of the IBM Telnet server.

The fact that you're getting invalid password errors implies that
someone is sending an invalid password as part of their session setup.

Does anyone know what these entries mean? Typically we have users
connecting to the iSeries via Rumba.

You see, Rumba has the ability to "auto-sign on". (Or something like
that, I don't have a copy of Rumba in front of me at the moment to tell
you the precise option name.) The idea is, you configure you type your
userid/password in the GUI setup dialog in Rumba, and it sends it to the
iSeries as part of the Telnet feature negotiation as the connection is
being made. that way (assuming the info is valid) you can skip the
signon screen, and go right to your initial menu/program.

If the userid ends up being invalid (as in your case) the default action
is for i5/OS to present a sign-on screen for the user to sign in with
valid credentials.

So if you have a bad userid and password in a Rumba configuration, I can
imagine that you'll keep getting these errors in the audit log, even
though everything seems to be working fine.

If it'd help, I can look up the precise Rumba option that you need to
set the auto-signon stuff when I get to my office tomorrow (we have
Rumba 7.2 or something like that). Just let me know if that info would
help...

Thanks for your response Scott. I looked at the Rumba options myself and
everyone at our organization has the auto connect and auto disconnect options
selected.

Also there is an "Enable caching of user ID's and passwords" option that is
selected for some people and not selected for others. Am not sure if this is a
factor in the issue at hand.

Any suggestion you could provide to clear this ongoing problem would be great,
we have a limit of 5 invalid signons before the user profile is disabled!

Thanks again,

-Paul