The following is an email that I sent to our iSeries programmers...

I am sure you have noticed the parameter referring to CCSID on many
commands that we have used. I don't know about you, but I have
conveniently ignored it - 'cuz it didn't have anything to do with
ENGLISH...Right? Well, WRONG.

This is now coming back to bite us. At this point it seems to be
associated with two commands: CPYTOIMPF and CPYFRMIMPF. IBM has "let us
get by" up until now, and now the time has come that they are tightening
up the thumbscrews.

The CCSID that we have been using as default is 65535. Unfortunately,
this has no meaning in the current method of doing things. The number
that seems to be the "standard" for English is 37. I have changed the
default CCSID to 37 on all ORNT AS/400s.

The CCSID is applied at the FIELD level, and appears to relate primarily
to character fields. I created a listing of fields that have 65535 as
their CCSID. Got 39 pages of field names. That works out to about 2145
field names.

In order for the two commands to work, these field names IN THE FILES WE
ARE EVER GOING TO USE in this way, need to be changed to have a CCSID of
37. This can be done either by changing the DDS...which requires a
recompile of the physical, which involves saving and restoring data...
Or can be done in place using the ALTER TABLE SQL command. Brenda has
had to do this, and the following is the command as she used it, with
her note:

Alter table mtilib/apu084w Alter Column dvname set data type character
(25) CCSID 37
Alter table mtilib/apu084w Alter Column dcocode set data type character
(4) CCSID 37

You have to say character length even though it is already defined or
you get a character field of 1.

Brenda has only changed the files on MT470. So, keep this information in
mind for the future.
Dave
612-371-1163