The system limit for the number of spooled files per job used to be hard
coded at 9999, which is to say that after spooled file number 9998, the
next attempt to create a spooled file results in an escape message (I don't
remember which) and a job log.

A few releases ago, IBM added a system value QMAXSPLF, which defaulted to
9999, but can go up to 999999.  This can only be regulated at the system
value level, no at the job level.

Note, there are restrictions as to the maximum number of spooled files in
*SYSBAS in various states (That is to say *RDY, *HLD, etc [not New York,
Minnesota, Kansas, or even Euphoria], I don't remember the particulars),
but the total limit in *SYSBAS is 2.3M.  In an IASP (which I hate for
reasons that have nothing to do with spooled files), you can go to 10M.

Submitting a new job to produce each spooled file would be a disaster in
overhead, particularly if you created job logs for each job, not to mention
that your job number would wrap daily if you pass 999999, although it would
work.  One technique for this, if 999999 isn't enough would be to have the
job count the number of spooled files generated, and then submit a new job
before you get to 999999.  I don't know of an easy/efficient way to see the
number of spooled files generated by a job, but possibly there's an API.
There is no system command or TAA Tool command that I know of to do this.

Regardless, beware of the 2.3M limit, or bad things will happen (like the
flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz).

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             sriedmue@xxxxxxxx
             midrange-l-bounce         midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/30/2007 01:00          Job cannot create any more spooled
             PM                        files

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I have a CL that I wrote which runs in a loop.  It generates a spooled
file, copies the data down to a PF, and then deletes the spooled file.
There is a 60 second delay inside the loop so I can gather this data every
60 seconds.  After running for a long time, it eventually blows up on
CPF4167 Job cannot create any more spooled files.  Even though I am
deleting the spooled files as I go, they remain attached to the job in a
FIN status.  These spooled file "ghosts" count towards the total number of
spooled files, and therefore my job eventually blows up.  Is there any way
around this, short of having my job perform a SBMJOB every 60 seconds,
rather than generating the spooled files itself?  Thanks.

Steve