Yes, savwhlact should work and 5250 sessions can easily be ended with qinactiv.

I can't beleive that there's no network equivalent to qinactiv, though.

-----Original Message-----
From: WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:39 PM
Subject: RE: ODBC/QZDASOINIT Messages

IBM's not aware of a way you can completely get rid of pseudo closed
cursors.

I'm not sure you'd want to avoid the use of pseudo-closed cursors, as it
does help performance. However, the document you reference does describe
a method of forcing all current pseudo-closed cursors to hard close,
specifically the CONFLICT(*RQSRLS) parm on the ALCOBJ command. So, at
the start of your backup you could simply slam through all the files
doing an ALCOBJ w/a CONFLICT(*RQSRLS) and that should close all the
pseudo-closed cursors for real.

Note, this is really no different than the problem that occurs when a
5250 user leaves for the day and leaves their screen in the order-entry
program. Files are held open there too. This is just more annoying
because the programs aren't running on the iSeries so their harder to
find. <G>

BTW, since the record locks are released, and just the file locks held,
and I would guess the file locks are either *SHRRD (which wouldn't
effect backups) or *SHRNUPD (which would) you should be able to do a
save while active and get the required locks, right?

-Walden