I took a look at the Retrieve Database File Description (QDBRTVFD) API docs - here is one sentence from the select/omit section

"Total number of select/omit statements for all record formats, 1 through 32,767."

There's other stuff there, like number of select/omit parameters in a statement - I think. This beast is not for the faint of heart, or for those with lives.

HT
Vern