Dear all,

We have decided to start a iSeries education program with our local University.
This also to suit our needs (and those from other iseries using companies) for
students that already have basic iSeries knowledge when they arrive from
University but more important to make them at least acquainted to the iSeries.
There is already an 720 arranged for them from one of our local banks.
Our local IBM will be asked to help with a license for it so they do not have
to install the system every 70 day's.....
This hardware will suffice for a couple of years (we would liked to have
obtained it as development machine ourselves (would really speed things up)).

So now the hard work begins, WHAT and HOW TO DO???....
We will need to develop an curriculum.

We want to have the thing practical so the students can experience the
operating-system and the very many and different ways to do things with it.
We want them to experience the different forms iSeries applications can get
(5250, Webfaced, Websites (CGIDEV2), Communication interfaces over HTTP/FTP and
there uses (SOAP interfaces, Webservices, XML and so on), Modern EJB based
applications, and so on).
We want them to experience how easy and effective you can develop on the
iSeries with RPGLE (so they can compare that with the far more elaborate ways
of programming in C++, Java, .Net, etc).
We want them to understand the concepts of application-servers compared to
other types of servers or computers (and why they need to have different
capabilities).
We want them to understand why and when you have to choose to automate
solutions on these types of servers.
We want to open up their minds and make them know that the iSeries exists and
that this type of automation is very viable and versatile and in the For-Front
of automation development (besides it is fun to be in the iSeries world).

So.... we want a lot!
But we will probably get 7 weeks of 4 hours time to do it.
If we do it right, probably some more time the other year.

To do this we need some help.
All of us know so much more on how and where to get existing stuff that can be
very util for our goals (just send me the links).
All of us could think of small things you could contribute (you just have) and
adds on to the to be created idea that so much is possible on and with the
iSeries (would be nice if it works)(The 720 will have V5R2M0 or V5R3M0 (or
better when IBM decides to help)).

Where are we looking for?
- Examples of Curricula that could be usefull.
- Existing short (few hours) illustrative labs/tutorials aimed on different
expects of the OS (Multi-tasking, security, spool-handling, different standard
available interfaces, concepts of subsystems, concept of logical
partitioning,... ,???, !!!).
- Example applications that show the divers way's of things to do and the many
possibilities that can be explored to achieve a goal (Sending mail, accessing
an web-service or Soap-interface, XML handling, Creating Excel sheets based on
iSeries data, websites with specific features, Combining functions available in
native iSeries with Java and PASE to achieve goals not that common on the
iSeries, rock-solid iSeries DataBaseDriven applications (Ok, those we have
ourselves), embedded SQL, and so much more).
- Existing hands on and illustrative labs/tutorials aimed on iSeries
development aspects (Starting with WDSC, RPGLE basics, ILE environment
(Procedures, Binding libraries, Modules, ServicePrograms (what they are and how
they interact.)and that results in working 'simple' applications.
- Articles of use for the other aspects mentioned above.
- All the things we might forget and should be included.
-
-

Thanks in advance.
Any help is appreciated.