Well we have made some good progress in getting the new Vista machine to
play properly. I now have three machines (2 XPs and the Vista) networked
together so that I can share files and printers. This network is using
Workgroup thru a hardwired Belkin Router. After considerable time and a
chunk of change I got assistance from MS Pro Service to make the VPN
connection work. Basically they had me change the configuration so that the
VPN connection is now using TCP/IP v4 instead of v6. Working like a charm. I
burned a DVD of V5R4 iSeries Access and this loaded and installed with no
problems. All of the emulation functions seem to be working OK but the
iSeries Navigator is not. It won't even connect. If any of the sages on this
list have advice on that problem, it would be appreciated.

Even more important progress was made with WDSC. When I went to run the
update earlier this evening, RPU informed me that it had an update to
itself. I loaded this and then it allowed me to do an upgrade of the basic
WDSC V6.  That upgrade is downloading right now on the Vista machine and I
expect that it will be finished some time in the AM hours. The Vista machine
has 6 gig of Ram and a very fast bus so maybe it will finish in a reasonable
amount of time.

I even have got the WebCam working on the Vista but after looking at myself
for a few moments, I have decided that I probably won't be using that very
much.

I don't know how stable the Vista will be so it still is classified as a
development box and because I am using i-Care as my virus checker, I will
not be using that machine for my email until our friends at MS say they have
fixed the problem. I use the bought version of AVG on my XP Pro system and
it has been working just fine.

My travels along the future trail will be to see if I can with IBM's help
get iSeries Navigator working. Been fun (grin)!!!!!

Jack Derham

Direct Systems, Inc.

P.S. Look for contract work so if anybody knows of any requirements a heads
up would certainly be appreciated.