Years ago IBM priced memory 'flat' meaning so much per MB no matter what size you were purchasing. This largely had to do with the fact they they took trade ins then (Give them back your 8MB board and get a 16MB Board for the 8MB Price). Also back then they had lots of room on the memory boards so the price was much more linear for IBM too. Double the memory was just double the number of chips. I have some old memory from 3xx machines and it's pretty neatly done. Four rows, 8 rows, or 8 rows double stacked but all the chips are the same. Back then we would often by the biggest memory features leaving open slots. It didn't cost any extra and gave us flexibility for the future.

Today real estate on memory DIMMs is minimal. Memory speeds are *WAYUPTHERE compared to the old days so things need to be much closer together limiting DIMM size. So IBM must purchase higher density chips for the higher capacity DIMMs and greater density costs more. Hence the range Mike describes here in pricing from a little over $500 to nearly $5000 per GB. Also IBM no longer takes trade ins on memory (hasn't for some time) so you are paying a price more relative to IBMs cost than in the old days.

Today we must do more thinking on memory configuration, not where to put it but how to size it. A POWER5 520 can take only two memory features so if you put in two 2GB features it's full and the next upgrade leaves some memory on the table. Another example is an 8 way 570 full of 16GB Memory DIMMS. On that machine it is actually cheaper to upgrade to a 12-16 way machine (doubling the available memory slots) and put in more 16GB DIMMs than it is to replace the current 16GB DIMMs with 32GB DIMMs!! Your business partner needs to understand this.

All in all today's set up is much better but I still wouldn't call i memory 'Cheap'

 - Larry

Crump, Mike wrote:
It will be a miracle if this thread doesn't spawn a life of it's own.
The costs will vary depending on size, server, and whether or not it is
DDR1 or DDR2.

You will see some fluctuation in pricing ranging anywhere from $550 per
gigabyte (typical 1GB modules) to $1300/$1500 (typical 4GB or 8GB
modules) up to $4700 (32GB DDR2 module).  These are list prices and your
mileage may very depending on your system, your available slots, and
your memory needs.

In theory our pricing should be close to what our P counterparts are
paying but I've heard some rumbling that it isn't.  I don't speak that
language so I won't even attempt to interpret.

Michael Crump
Manager, Computing Services
Saint-Gobain Containers, Inc.
1509 S. Macedonia Ave.
Muncie, IN  47302
765.741.7696
765.741.7012 f
Tracers work both ways.
This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views
or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Saint-Gobain.  If it did, it would be
folded, mutilated, watered down, politically corrected, and would show
up a week later if at all.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them,
nor must you copy or show them to anyone.
error.