The twinax console (and there is only one) is the device that receives messages during IPL without having a user signed on. It is also the only device that can have an interactive session while the system is in a restricted state.

Darrell A Martin wrote:
Hi:

(I think the address to the original question depends on the device.)

Anyway, are you sure about the console having to be port 0 switch 0? We
have two 3196 devices set up to use as consoles. One is port 0 switch 0 and
is on my desk, the other is port 0 switch 3 and is in the Computer Room.
(Both devices are on Controller 6.) Yet, we have for years used the 0/3
device as "the" console, in some cases not even having the other one
connected for long stretches of time. I have not encountered any function I
could not do from the 0/3 terminal.

Looking for education. If there is a real difference, I might swap the two.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin  -  630-754-2141
Manager, Computer Operations
dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx