Is there such a thing as an alternate console (ala /36) on the System i5? I looked through some documentation once (eons ago), but couldn't find any mention.

We do, at least for our normal processes have a couple of "alternates" (mine and my boss') defined to be in QCTL subsystem, rather than QINTER. However, after an IPL the system is going to look for the 0/0 device to display messages. Never tried to do a SAVE *All (21) or other such function from my "alternate" device. Might try that this afternoon or tomorrow as I've got a few PTF's to apply to the backup system.

        * Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i5/iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
        615.995.7024
fax
        615.995.1201
email
        jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Have you been able to do a RCLSTG or other dedicated system task from this one on switch 3? Simply doing a DSPMSG QSYSOPR or some such thing doesn't count. You may be able to spoof the RCLSTG by doing a TFRCTL to QCTL of that session. So here's the real test - try IPLing to DST (not SST) to the terminal at address 3.

I've had numerous problems with twinax. One of the redundancies you used to be able to build in (at least on a S/36) was to have two separate twinax workstation controllers And then the one at address 0 on the first port out of the second controller could also be a system console in a pinch. As said, I did have numerous problems with twinax and had to activate this once (when the whole first controller died).

But if you are simply having a terminal that up and pukes then it is much easier to move a working terminal into that position, change the address, and fire it up.