We have a user that has really gotten into viewpoint and does some
extensive reporting with this tool. The problem is trying to educate him
on how the files  are related. This tool in a trained persons hands
(Sequel and knowledge of the database structure) can be used without
much fear.

e.g.

We have a 12 way 570 with 4 dedicated to the i5/OS environment and 8 for
AIX. When we set him with a (submitted jobd) runpty of 51 and a
timeslice of 3000 he still managed to hog 250 - 300% of the CPU's
(knowing that each CPU is 100%).

Most is due to poor design, after helping him with the file
relationships it got better (not great but better). When administration
decided to they give this out to non-IT users (who are really not
concerned with performance just results) we started running into
performance issues and so that is administrations dilemma.

People on this list will say you just do not have it tuned correctly,
you need to do this but the bottom line IMHO is if you can get them
trained knowing the table structures and how they are related you should
be in good shape.

You can also build some indexes for them which would greatly increase
performance.

I have no power to make any changes or recommendation but like the poem
goes:

IT'S NOT MY JOB TO DRIVE THE TRAIN, THE WHISTLE I CAN NOT BLOW.

IT'S NOT MY JOB TO SAY HOW FAR THE TRAIN'S ALLOWED TO GO.

IT'S NOT MY PLACE TO BLOW THE HORN, NOR EVEN CLANG THE BELL.

BUT LET THE DARN THING JUMP THE TRACK AND

SEE WHO CATCHES H***!!!!!

HTH

Bruce Collins
IT Architect