On 2/17/07, Pete Hall <pbhall@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I reluctantly have to agree. I have a Linux box at home. I telecommute
part-time, and I originally set it up as my Internet gateway and
firewall (IPTables/NetFilter is great). I also have W2K. I'm attempting
to do my interactive work on the Linux box, just to see if I can. The X
graphical display is inferior to Windows. If there's a graphical FTP
client available as good as WS_FTP I haven't found it, and I've looked.
The best I've been able to do is VirgoFTP. Compare PhotoShop with GIMP.
One's free, the other not, but still... Even web browsers, don't render
as well on Linux as on Windows (same browsers, same versions, but on
Linux they must use X). Acrobat reader has the same issue. There is
nothing like HTMLKit, or CSE validator available for Linux, although I
do have the W3C validator running locally with a batch front end so I
can do a whole site at a time. That's kinda cool. There are office
compatible Word and Excel clones, but they're not 100%, and
consequently, not good enough to exchange documents with my co-workers.

not to mention the programability of MSFT products is world class.
Vista is spectacular looking on a flat panel monitor.  With Vista,
editing code in Visual Studio is a pleasure simply because the text
characters display so well.   I still have doubts about Vista - user
account control and security in general from a useability standpoint -
I think MSFT has missed the mark there.

For what, $400 per year, you can stay current on all the MSFT software
on your desktop.  That is a great deal considering the resulting
increased productivity.

Linux might be evolving into a collection of non cooperating,
eventually non compatible fiefdoms:
http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/02/17/0219225.shtml

What with IBM involved, with its reputation as a company that will
price gouge its most loyal customers, I am less wary of getting on the
Windows bandwagon than I am of Linux.

-Steve