Greetings:

When considering software purchases, our organization:

1. Typically doesn't care where the support is located as long as it is
effective (meaning, good advice clearly communicated).

2. Sometimes, but not always, "asks around" about support issues regarding
the vendor.

Note: the four software packages running on our AS/400 that are most
crucial to our organization all have support located in the U.S.A. (or it
is so well disguised that we can't tell, which amounts to the same thing
[grin]). Two are outstanding (IBM, Help/Systems); one is less than
stellar, but adequate, based on my experience (Inovis); and one no longer
supports us, that being our decision -- we have heavily modified and
enhanced the package.

The support for our software that runs on MS Windows ranges from the
extraordinary to the atrocious. Typically, we find that when the support
is both obviously offshore and less than competent, the program is a de
facto standard for which our users think there is no usable replacement.
Sometimes they are wrong, but that doesn't always help [scowl].

I have had very positive experiences with some offshore support. Yes, such
are clearly exceptions to the rule, but they are not as rare as some would
have you think.

We sell world-wide. We have three languages that are regularly used on our
production floor, and almost a dozen more used for personal reasons by
multiple employees. We are accustomed to communications issues, and for
the most part are reasonably adept in dealing with them.

Software vendors who would not under any circumstances consider
"offshoring" any of their activities should indeed be praised, IMO, at
least by those who are located in the same country. However, those who as
a result are not able to remain profitable will put their user bases at
risk.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin  -  630-754-2141
Manager, Computer Operations