That's what I needed to know Rob .... Thanx!

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces+keg=nwnatural.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces+keg=nwnatural.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 8:49 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Poor Man's backup to an HMC

The thin console will not buy you anything.  You do not want it -
especially for a multi lpar shop.

Yes, you can configure both from one HMC.  We have two and only use the
second one on rare occasions "Gee, does it still work?" kind of stuff.

Granted, they are a bit overpriced.  Hence why I fail to hesitate in the
least to call support if I have any issues with them.

Having a second is nice for redundancy.  However, if you keep your support
current, and never upgrade your HMC the same week that you plan on IPLing
your i5, then you should be ok.  I'd always upgrade the HMC 2 or 3 weeks
prior.  That way if it all goes to hell you have time to get the
replacement.

The redundancy is also nice for new levels of HMC code.  I think the early
versions of 6.1 were not that popular.