1 - In any hardware repair kit there should be a static wrist band that
you attach to a ground before touching a card to remove it.  I knew a gent
who used to silk screen automotive components - like your heater gauge on
your dash.  That operation generated a lot of static.  He wrapped wire
around himself and to a ground.  I wouldn't recommend this if you are
working on the breaker box though.

2 - If you have carpeting you may want to shampoo it with a little liquid
fabric softener in the water.  For short term, dilute fabric softener with
water and spray bottle that around the carpet.

3 - Back when we had tractor feed printers we had to affix "Bounce" dryer
sheets to the output guide or the static got so bad that jamming might
occur.

4 - I am wearing sweaters and polypro long johns because it's so freaking
cold in here.  First thing that happens every morning is that I get
shocked from static when I turn on the electric heater under the desk.
Make sure they don't skimp on the softener when doing their laundry.
Reminds me of the suggestion to lick a toad every morning then your day
just can't get worse.

5 - At one place I worked I grabbed a steel ruler, then I touched the
terminal in a metal area (with the ruler).  Created a nice arc.  Then,
once I was then "discharged" I could start work.  (Please, no comments on
how one would rather start their day with a "discharge" than licking a
toad.)