Changing the inactivity timeout in CHGFTPA does not affect how the iSeries works as a client - that is a server setting. I assume you are the client to the government site.

In order to set the client timeouts, use the DEBUG T1 or T2 command as listed - T1 is the inactivity one and sets how long your session waits for a response from the remote server. T2 is the transfer timeout and sets how long you wait before a transfer of data is done - something like that - if you go into an ftp session to loopback, you can type debug time (it's and error) and get the help for this -

HTH
Vern

At 01:20 PM 2/2/2007, you wrote:

Thanks Vern, so, I'm assuming that since the ftp issue occurred the day after my chgtcpa on the iSeries that it was the chgtcpa that I made. However, there's only 1 ftp that doesn't run successfully. Is there anything I can tell the business partner to do to ensure the tranny completes successfully?

-----Original Message-----
From: vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: FTP Questions

Here is some stuff I wrote as a tip for Search400 - it tells how to
set all the possible timeouts for FTP - there are 2 each for server
and client - you want to set the client ones

We know about the inactivity time-out on the FTP server. But there
are three other time-outs that can be set, one for the iSeries FTP
server, and two for the iSeries FTP client.

The TIME server subcommand can specify one or two time-outs. The
first (required) is the inactivity time-out and is the same as the
time-out set with the INACTTIMO parameter of the CHGFTPA command. The
second is called the transfer time-out. This is how long the server
waits on the client on the data connection. Defaults are 300 for the
inactivity time-out -- 420 for the transfer time-out.

It is also possible to change client time-outs, using the debug
subcommand. As with the server, there are two time-outs. The first is
for the control connection. It sets how long the client waits for
server replies. The second is for the data connection. This one sets
how long the client waits for a response on the data connection.
Defaults are 600 and 420 seconds, respectively.

Code

To set the inactivity time-out of an iSeries FTP server to 15 minutes:

QUOTE TIME 900

To set both the inactivity and transfer time-outs of an iSeries FTP
server to 15 minutes:

QUOTE TIME 900 900

To set the inactivity time-out of an iSeries FTP client to 15 minutes:

DEBUG T1 900

To set the transfer time-out of an iSeries FTP client to 15 minutes:

DEBUG T2 900

HT
Vern