On 31/01/07, Jones, John (US) <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
Where the HMC has room for improvement:
[snip]
- Limited scripting capabilities.

Hi John

I'm new to the world of the HMC, having just had our System i 550
installed at the weekend. Yesterday was my first chance to 'play' with
the HMC. I'm puzzled by your lack of scripting capabilities comment,
as it seems the HMC has commands to manage pretty much everything that
you can do in the Java GUI. I've thrown together some CL, mixed with
some QShell commands to run HMC commands from our 550 to locate the
slots our tape drive uses, and switch it between partitions for
unattended backups.

On our old 825 that was done in a very convoluted fashion, having to
schedule the moves with Ops Nav, then selectively release those jobs
from the primary partition, invoked from the requesting LPAR - every
time the primary was IPL'd the jobs had to be set up all over again.
Now I can just run a program from any LPAR to move the tape to any
other partition.

So far I'm only using a couple of the HMC commands, but they look
powerful enough. What  is missing?

Regards, Martin