   See replies in-line...

     From: "Jones, John (US)" John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx

     >Well, it makes sense.  In a non-critical situation _someone_ will have
     >reasonable broadband connection.....

     Agreed! Now so long as IBMs servers aren't down.. :-)

     >But it does beg another question, one that hits me from time to time.
     >Consider that all recent machines come with a DVD drive and IBM knows
     >(to a high degree of certainty)

     You don't deal with installed records do you? IBM knows with a high
     degree of certainty that you are paying maintenance on a system. Other
     than that they know it's black.. (I see all you business partners out
     there knodding with me!!)

     ...>At what point will IBM start shipping releases on DVD instead of CD?

     Last I heard the upstream process that creates the images can't do DVDs.
     May be un-true now but that was the hold up. Besides they want you to
     download electronically!!

     Oh and you can make your own DVDs if you'd like and use those to
     distribute to other systems.

     >I don't load the OS out every day or even every month (really not
     >necessarily even every year) but it seems to me the process would be a
     >lot more customer-friendly if I only had 2-4 DVDs full of OS + LPPs
     >instead of the huge stack we now have.

     Yep and a good BP will offer you the choice of bringing those (currently
     3) DVDs with the PTFs already applied. Not only do you play with only
     three disks but you save ALL of the PTF apply time. Of course if you see
     value in that service you'll understand why there may be a charge,
     right?

     >It'd also be nice to simply label the disks 1, 2, etc.

     DOn't get me started on the media labels. I have fought with IBM to at
     LEAST put the label toward the center of the disk where you can read it
     without extricating it from the sleeve. And just what is $title2$
     anyway? :-)  They fixed the lables once around V5R1 then screwed them up
     again and since then I've simply quit asking.

     You are right that the labels could be more descriptive too but given
     the trend toward images rather than plastic the label issue will be mute
     soon anyway.

      - Larry