I used one of those timeshares for awhile, but none of them give you that hands on experience, doing saves to a real tape drive, replacing disk drives concurrently, installing the OS in the 1st place, upgrading it, applying PTFs, etc.

However, not having to pay for software support in order to stay on the latest version with all the goodies is a definite plus.

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> /

albartell wrote:
AFAIK, no one needs to spend a bunch of money to gain experience on our
platform.

IMO there is a big difference between $15/month with next to zero admin
abilities (big bummer) vs. having a virtual loaner for non-ISV types.
Remember, we are talking about college kids, and you can buy a lot of Ramen
noodles with $15.  But even more so $15/month is just something that
encourages them to try PHP or RoR or .NET instead.

Aaron Bartell