Greetings:

Assume the following:

0. Yes, I know how to "schedule" a GO SAVE 21 from a console which is
behind multiple locked doors. Please consider that this is not an
alternative. (It is, but I would rather not get responses suggesting what
I have already decided to use if I **can't** do what I want.)

1. There is an interactive session running from the controlling subsystem,
signed on as a user with known authority to run GO SAVE 21 (me).

2. The interactive session is connecting remotely via VPN using
telnet-based emulation (Wintronix, but will move to iSeries Access if
useful).

3. The interactive session is NOT defined as a console of any kind.

4. The default startup program in the controlling subsystem requires no
manual intervention (I think that is a given, but anyway).

5. A known adequate set of backup tapes has been loaded into the tape
library and initialized. This works with GO SAVE 21 run locally.

6. The tape library was purchased used, hardware only. There is *NO* tape
backup management software currently loaded except what comes with V5R2
(no BRMS, etc.).

7. From the above defined session, the user executes GO SAVE 21 from the
command line, with a normal set of options to avoid operator intervention
except in the case of a failure.

8. If this works, the user (me) will start to look for the system being
available at the appropriate time. I have plenty of metrics on how long
this will take. I can drive to the site in a reasonable amount of time if
necessary.

9. If this works, I will sign on and watch Period End run otherwise
unattended after the backup is complete, while I am doing laundry,
watching Australian Rules Football on the Internet, and/or writing love
poetry.

The biggest question for me is what happens when GO SAVE takes the system
to a restricted state. I am all but dead certain the connection to the
interactive session will be lost. Does this abort the process? I have
RTFM'ed until my cerebral cortex is coated in ferrous oxide dust
(ferric?). Although there are implications that this is the case (process
aborts) I have yet to trip over the definitive statement, "YOU CAN'T DO
THAT."

What about remote consoles? I have not done the research, so just links or
Redbook references would be warmly received even if accompanied by
(deserved) sarcasm....

If the fundamental process *is* sound, are there any other suggestions?

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin  -  630-754-2141
Manager, Computer Operations
dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This e-mail, including attachments, may contain information that is
confidential and/or proprietary, and may only be used by the person to
whom this email is addressed. If the recipient of this e-mail is not the
intended recipient or an authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If this e-mail has been delivered to you in error, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and deleting this e-mail
immediately.