Turnidge, Dave wrote:

Wow! QTEMP is ONLY used by the current job. Objects in that library have
to be created BY that job for use by that job ONLY. We ALWAYS have QTEMP
at the top of the user portion of the library list. I don't know of ANY
value for QTEMP that would place it at the end of the list... ???  What
am I missing here??

Dave:

That's a reasonably good question that I'd be interested in hearing someone answer.

The reason to have QTEMP in the library list in the first place is so that unqualified references to objects could resolve to objects in QTEMP. For QTEMP, this _should_ mean objects that have the same names as production objects in later libraries when you want to substitute a temporary version. If QTEMP is at the end of the list and objects are all created by the job, why have QTEMP in the list at all? Why not simply qualify the references to QTEMP in the first place and avoid the *LIBL search?

There seems to be little reason for even having QTEMP in *LIBL if it's at the bottom. Leave it out. If the purpose is to catch objects that are known to be created in QTEMP, then don't use a library-list search to find them -- explicitly qualify to QTEMP. With QTEMP at the bottom, why is it in *LIBL at all? It doesn't have to be in *LIBL in order to use it.

I can come up with reasons, but I'm not sure on how useful they'd be in many production environments. If some people are actually benefiting from the practice, I'd like to know how. Note that having one library, such as a development library, ahead of QTEMP is not the same as having QTEMP at the bottom unless those are the only two libraries

Tom Liotta