First of all, I am only referring to the USRLIBL, NOT the SYSLIBL.

QTEMP is only used for the duration of a job. When the job closes QTEMP
is cleared. Therefore, QTEMP should be used for things that are unique
to that job. We put all of our job setup information in QTEMP. We do
this by copying data areas from a generic production library to QTEMP,
and them modify them to the job.

If we put files in QTEMP, they are copies of an empty template in our
production library. That file performs its purpose. Generally, this is
only done in a batch job, which means the file goes away when the job is
done. However, the code is set up to delete the file from QTEMP before
copying it up, or clearing the file. In either case, if an error occurs
you respond to the existence or non-existence of the file depending on
what method you are using.

I think maybe what I have learned from this discussion is that which
ever way you go, you have to have the rule understood by all
programmers, and then there should be no problem.  So, if you have QTEMP
at the bottom of your library list, you program using that method. If
QTEMP is always at the top, you program to that method.

The end result may be the same. But, unless I happen to get another job
before I retire, that requires QTEMP to be at the bottom of the LIBL, it
will always be at the top, and I, and all the other programmers in the
shop, will program for it being that way.

Dave