Hi,

Try the following:

With x as (Select MyCustomer as xCustomer, Min(MyDate) as xDate
             From MyTable
             Where ....
             Group by MyCustomer)
Select a.*
   from x join MyTable on xCustomer = MyCustomer and xDate = MyDate

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser

Brown)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von Dan
Gesendet: Thursday, January 11, 2007 20:47
An: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Betreff: SQL - multiple rows for same customer, but only want earliest one

I think I need an SQL boot camp.

I know this can be done, but the reference and/or programming guide need a
"If you want to do *this*, go here" type of chapter.

I have a select for which multiple rows can be returned for the same
customer number, but I only want the row that has the earliest transaction
date.  It appears that DISTINCT will not return an entire row, and neither
does MIN.  What am I missing?

TIA,
Dan