Hi:

Recent news buzz in the Linux community seems to be conceding this point.
That is, the OS runs like a champ once correctly set up. Just don't try to
change it (including software installation!) unless you want the
equivalent of an Associates Degree in Linux Configuration. The cost is
less than a degree, but the time commitment is about the same [grin].

I got Fedora Core 4 running at home on a downlevel box, about a year ago,
just to say I did it without any help other than online documentation.
Went pretty well. For a week it was my primary home Internet connection,
including e-mail. Then I went to the next step, installing a TN5250
emulator that would work through our VPN. It was about all I did in my
spare time for two weeks. Never did get it working, even after I started
asking our in-house Linux evangelist questions. Now every time I see "yum"
or "RPM" in a Linux context I get the urge to throw large metal objects
with sharp corners.

I've asked those who are supposed to know, if Fedora Core 5 or 6 are
significantly better in this respect, and after some hemming and hawing
the answer is generally, "No."

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin  -  630-754-2187
Manager, Computer Operations