Pat,

I seem to remember that IBM's original OS for the System 360 had a database
type called "partitioned database" that allowed for multiple members with the
same layout in a single file.  That was back in the 1960's, but the concept was
the same.  I think they used it then, basically, as a storage medium for 80
column punched cards .... source code, etc.

Rich

Pat Barber wrote:

Multi-member files are unique to the Iseries to my
knowledge. They require a little more work to deal with
but can be very handy in certain situations.

Yes...on the ovrdbf to handle all members.

Locking would not be an issue in most cases. Each member
is treated as a seperate file in most cases.

The concept is a little strange when you first come across
it. It's been on the box for many years, but is lightly
used in my opinion.

The database on the 400 has some pretty sweet features and
requires some reading to get used to all it can do.

Go to the Information Center and search on ADDPFM which will
give you a overview on adding members to a file.