From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Rosinger
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 1:05 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: how to duplicate this mainframe process on iSeries?

List,

Here's another unusual process we have on our VSE mainframe
that will have to be duplicated on the iSeries. I am hopeful
that the iSeries can handle this in a much easier manner than
does VSE, but I am too new to the environment to know.

Here's the process on VSE....

During the day, depending on which customers' data has
arrived, it is processed and their data "staged" to a
sequential file in a specific VSAM catalog. Throughout the
day, more data files are generated. When it is time to begin
the nightly run, we have to "gather" these files together
(merge to a single dataset) and then purge the original
individual files. (the catalog is backed up before the process begins)

The way this process is currently handled is a COBOL program
reads the VSAM catalog, looking for datasets whose name
matches specific templates. This program generates JCL for a
second job where another COBOL program will process each of
the specific files passed in the list that the first program
prepares. There is only one input file defined in this
program. Before each input file open, an assembler routine is
called which overrides the "ASSIGN TO name" of the file
hardcoded in the ASSIGN clause of the program with one that
is passed to the program in the list. This way it opens and
processes each file dynamically according to the list for that day.

If the iSeries provides a way to concatenate files of a
similar format with names that match certain template(s) to a
single file, this will be a piece of cake. The constraints here are:

1) there will be one-to-many of these files for any given run
- but all in the same library
2) the files will be identified by one of several "strings"
in their physical names
3) it is possible there could be other files in the same
library but are irrelevant to this process (so #2 is very important)

How best to accomplish this on the iSeries?

--
Regards,

Michael Rosinger
Systems Programmer / DBA
Computer Credit, Inc.
640 West Fourth Street
Winston-Salem, NC  27101
336-761-1524
m rosinger at cciws dot com

--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion