I did the equivalent of create a SEQUEL group profile with *USE access to
the data libraries needed, then the files as needed (both libraries and
files are *PUBLIC EXCLUDE, with normal users only able to see either by
programs adopting authority).  Eventually I was forced to a second level
of access (SEQUEL1) for users with enhanced access.

I have not used (nor was I aware of) a user swapping program within
SEQUEL.  I had looked at their inclusion/exclusion dictionary, creating my
own version of SQLXCL02 (the program used to check the dictionary), but
decided that I prefer having everything built on internal OS/400
authorities.  In your case, I do wonder if it's worth the trouble to swap
authorities to another profile vs. using a group profile. A lot would
depend on whether or not those group profiles that you already use have
*USE or *CHANGE rights to the files in question.

We're on an 810, with perhaps 125 users able to use SEQUEL, about 40
regular users of the PC interface Viewpoints, maybe 5 active users who
actually write new views.  We've never had a problem with performance.
Some of those views go over moderate size files (3 - 5 million records).
I'd be more worried about users writing run-away views because of poor
file linking.  That happens about once a quarter and we just kill the
query and tell them to try again.  You might be able to cut that off by
using SEQUEL's ability to predefine how files should be linked.  SEQUEL
can even look over a bunch of your own views and come up with default
linkings for you.