I'm not meaning to speak for David, but he appears to be referring to the Linux
UPGRADE process, not Linux operational issues.

We have been running Linux in production for years and have had very few
operational issues.  We can easily clone a new Linux server from an existing
one.  But when it comes time to upgrade we have had to start from scratch,
building a new server and migrating the applications and data, and then do
extensive testing before going to production.  Our iSeries upgrades normally
only require upgrading the O/S in test, (usually no application or data work at
all) normal operation for two or three months, then upgrading the production
O/S.  Linux upgrades require days, and a team of administrators and
programmers; iSeries upgrades usually require half a day and my time only.  I
have never had to rebuild a production iSeries after an upgrade.

In the event of a complete hardware replacement i5's only require a relatively
simple unload/reload, no application or database reinstallation, etc.
Compatibility issues are almost unheard of.

Certainly Linux is exceptionally reliable; but it is nowhere near the i5OS in
ease of use and built-in, out of the box capabilities.

my 2¢

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
System i Administrator