From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Rosinger
Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 9:05 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: executing jobs in sequence

"Jones, John (US)" <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:mailman.42.1168262354.12056.midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A second option which would be more complex to develop but
potentially
nicer to use (depends on your job stream) would be to have
a single CL
program drive all of the batch work (either inline or via
SBMJOBs) and
have that CL program monitor for errors and enable whatever
corrective
measures you require.

Thanks for the suggestion. On the VSE system, all of these "jobs" are
contained in a single library "book". There are a lot of them
and it is
easier to maintain this way. Are there any disadvantages to
maintaining
single large CL program for the entire run?

--
Regards,

Michael Rosinger
Systems Programmer / DBA
Computer Credit, Inc.
640 West Fourth Street
Winston-Salem, NC  27101
336-761-1524
m rosinger at cciws dot com
Building on this, if you need to re-run a job, the jobs in
the job queue
are prioritized.  So the re-run can be submitted to the
same queue but
at a higher priority to move it ahead of the others,
ensuring all jobs
run in the desired order.

The single-threaded job queue that Lukas mentions is a
great thing.  We
use them here for handling things that can only be done one
at a time
and for handling long-running batch jobs that would bog
down if too many
ran concurrently.

--
John A. Jones, CISSP