Steve Richter wrote:
I dont think IBM itself knows how to write an OS anymore. This is not
a slight, OSes and languages are not the core part of their business
that they once were.

Um, when was the last time you had a serious problem with i5/os?  When
was the last time DB2/400 was hosed on you?  Sure, there are
inconveniences ... but, in my experience, with the exception of vendor
and user error ... I've *NEVER* had a serious problem with the iBox
where I was shut down.

Oh, I'm sure Al Barsa could relate a few tales ... but that's his job
<grin>.

Could Zend do it? Why not? Hire a bunch of Linux kernel experts. Then
turn the system into a PHP engine or something.

Uh, right ... I've had problems with just about EVERY linux upgrade I've
ever done ... none of them were completely seamless.  When I upgraded to
Fedora Core 4 my database was hosed for a while.

Sorry, i5/os and Linux are *NOT* in the same class... and so are the
people who develop them.

Don't take this wrong ... I think Linux is great ... and I'm going to
continue to run midrange.com on linux.  But if I have a business
critical application, I want it running on a System i under i5/os tested
and supported by IBM.

david
(who is putting his flag back in the drawer for a bit)