$
jar cfM /stmimagp/pdsimages.zip/ stmimagp/*.*
qsh: 001-0085 Too many arguments specified on command.
$

The folder contains 95000+ files to compress.  Any thoughts on how I
can
bypass this limitation?  Does anybody know what the JAR command object
limit is?

The problem is that the *.* is being expanded by qshell before jar is
called. Thus the exploding command line problem.

Looking at jar, it has a command line switch '-C' that looks like it
would fix your problem:

jar cfM /stmimagp/pdsimages.zip -C stimagp/ .

In this case, the 'jar' program expands the 'stimagp/' directory
internally. Or directly from 'jar --help' - '-C  change to the specified
directory and include the following file. If any file is a directory
then it is processed recursively.' So we tell it to use directory
'stimagp' and expand '.', which is itself.

I don't know enough about jar to say it won't still puke on 95k+ files,
but it works ok on the puny sets I tried it on.