Read all for the solution:

I am wondering if there is a system setting somewhere.
WRKLNK '/*'
Object link            Type
.                      DIR
..                     DIR
.eclipse               DIR
bin                    SYMLNK->DIR
botdir                 DIR
bpcsdata               DIR

Yet WRKLNK '/*' on another machine only shows:
Object link            Type
bin                    DIR

and this was after I did a
md '/.test'
Not even showing the dot directory or the dot dot directory.

Pretty much matching level's of os on both machines.  From WRKPTFGRP:

PTF Group             Level  Status
SF99540                6297  Installed
SF99539                  29  Installed
SF99504                   6  Installed
SF99347                   1  Installed
SF99323                   6  Installed
SF99321                   1  Unknown
SF99318                   5  Unknown
SF99317                   5  Unknown
SF99316                   2  Installed
SF99315                   4  Installed
SF99312                   9  Installed
SF99311                   7  Installed
SF99309                   7  Unknown
SF99308                   7  Unknown
SF99306                   3  Unknown
SF99291                   4  Installed
SF99186                   9  Installed
SF99143                   1  Installed
SF99114                   5  Installed

Got it figured out!!!
Prompt WRKLNK and read the help on the last parameter, DSPOPT.  Try *ALL.
Then the default of *PRV will remember that.