From: Patrick Botz

Assuming that you agree with the above, then i5/OS can be and is often
easily used, either on purpose or accidentally, as a file server for PCs.
As such, it has the same AV scanning requirements as any PC-based file
server.

I agree with this wholeheartedly!

And in fact, if the primary "file serving" from your IFS is done through
mapped drives or their equivalent, you not only have the same requirements
as any PC-based file server, but you can USE THE SAME SOFTWARE.

If you have software that scans your non-iSeries disk, then it can scan any
network drive, whether it resides on the IFS or on a Unix box or on a
Windows machine or on a SAN.

Now, unless ALL of your serving is done from the IFS, you must have some
sort of PC-based AV software to scan the non-IFS storage.  But since that
same software can be used to scan the IFS storage, it makes iSeries AV
software redundant.

The exception is situations where the IFS is a primary conduit between
Windows machines but not mapped in any way (for example, an IFS FTP server),
or in networks where the IFS is the only storage medium.  As I said in my
very first post on this thread (and would have left it there, had it not
been for the resulting FUD-storm), there ARE some purposes for iSeries AV
software.

Joe