From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 3:50 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: How Secure is Windows, Really?

From: QSCANFSCTL

Joe nobody is putting words in your mouth.

Also, I never said anyone was stupid.  The only time I used the word
was to say that I was NOT stupid enough to install a program that
did a DLTLIB QSYS.  So stop putting words in my mouth... it's the
last bastion of the weak argument.

'Trying to sell iSeries AV
software based on the fact that an infected PC is causing network
problems is either deceitful or stupid.  As is comparing the iSeries
to Typhoid Mary.'

Those are your words, not mine, just go back and read your own posts.

You're right, I did say that, but in a different context than you attempted to
spin.  I still stand by my statement above.  Selling AV software on the iSeries
because of a PC infection is deceitful or stupid.  I'm not calling iSeries
users deceitful or stupid, as you implied.  I am calling the person trying to
sell the software deceitful or stupid.  Do you understand the difference?

The Typhoid Mary comparison started at IBM. IBM has used them at
COMMON presentations. Ask Tom McBride, or Pat Botz or Ian Jarmin who
have all used the comparison to Typhoid Mary. Its perfectly legit and
not stupid. As for viruses causing network problems, that came from
LUG members and customers who have actually had problems.

I don't care who started it.  It's FUD, especially the way you use it.  The
iSeries is no more a Typhoid Mary than a CD, and you don't put AV software on
the CD, you put it on the operating system that uses the CD.  The iSeries is
simply another storage device for the PC.

And asking me to disclose who vendors (which now happen to be
customers-) or 'else drop the subject like the FUD it is' -- would be
unethical and irresponsible. Not to mention I have non-disclosure
agreements that legally prevent me from doing so.

Actually, the unethical and irresponsible part was bringing it up.  If you
can't back it up, then don't bring it up.  Otherwise, it's just FUD.

But let's allow for the chance that what you say is true.  Then you don't know
of anyone actively spreading viruses, because they're now customers!
Of course you would then use this to imply that other vendors, of whom you have
no personal knowledge, are shipping viruses.  In my book, that's pretty much
the opposite of ethical.

Apple Computer didn't mean to ship infected iPods, yet it happened.
And of course the iSeries isn't an iPod but my point is it happens to
the best of companies. There is no FUD there -- why is that so hard to
understand?

There are no iSeries viruses.  So the only viruses that can be on the IFS are
ones that infect other platforms (as the IBM folks have all been quoted as
saying: the IFS can be a virus REPOSITORY, but the iSeries cannot get a virus).
 iSeries AV software will certainly scan the IFS.  But unless those other
platforms solely use the IFS as their storage, then iSeries AV software will
not immunize them, and you need other AV software anyway.

Simple stuff, really.

And by all means, everyone should get some good AV software:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/software/antivirus-software/

Joe