Good point, and I wholeheartedly agree.  In fact, I rarely do this.  And
only am suggesting it for those who are in the 95%+ disk used and are in a
panic.  We often have test ptf's on and if you permanently apply one of
them and IBM has to reissue it, then you are toast until IBM issues a
superceed.  And they'll hate you if they have to issue a superceed just
because you permanently applied a test ptf.
Normally I only permanently apply ptf's shortly before upgrading to the
next release.  In which case I strongly recommend first.  Failure to do so
may result in several orphan save files from temporarily applied ptf's
staying on your system forever.

Example:  I am on VxRa.  I put on PTF UU12345.  This ptf has a fix for
QMYPGM in QMYLIB.  As part of the ptf process the old QMYLIB/QMYPGM is
saved into a save file QUU12345J1.  Then the new QMYLIB/QMYPGM is restored
over top of the old one.
If I RMVPTF UU12345 it will delete that program and restore the one out of
the save file.
If I permanently apply UU12345 it will delete the save file QUU12345J1.
This is where the big space savings come from when you permanently apply
ptf's.
Now, if I don't permanently apply UU12345, and I put on VxRb I may have
this save file, QUU12345J1, on there forever.

There is one more argument against applying ptf's permanently unless you
are absolutely sure.  I don't see it so much anymore but I used to see
things like
if you put on this ptf for Sametime then you have to remove ptf
such-and-such for domino, put on the sametime ptf and reapply the domino
ptf.  Near as I can figure it is that the integration checking for
superceed ptf's restoring the same object wasn't all that sharp in the
earlier days of domino and sametime.