Dan - other than the SQL Reference at InfoCenter - always go to InfoCenter first- the standard book for UDFs and SPs is located at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg246503.pdf

A stored procedure cannot be used in a SELECT - that is where a UDF shines. A UDF can be implemented with a service program - so you could have the same service program for both a UDF and for CALLP in your RPG/LE programs.

The other possibilitiy is using the SQL SET or VALUES statement in RPG to execute a UDF and have the result put into a local host variable.

Oh - be sure to use VARCHAR in the CREATE FUNCTION or CREATE PROCEDURE statement - this will let you use constants instead of field names in your call of either, because literals are converted to variable length values by SQL. Also, declare you incoming parameters as VARYING.

HTH
Vern