I am confident about the conversion process. Just get them ON an i, and they will see what else they can do. Here is a recent port (http://www.itjungle.com/fhs/fhs121206-story02.html), so it is happening.

And, if you take a strict i perspective, then you do want it to be native and faster. If you take the perspective that it runs faster on PASE than their original version, then we have successfully proven i is better. Step one. Now they are able to sell more - first, to existing i customers, then more System i hardware to their other platform customers. Step two.

What could be wrong with that???

----- Original Message ----- From: "Neil Palmer" <neilpalmer400mr@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: Saving the System i: Fight Rather Than Switch

What's "bad" is that the investment from IBM to move stuff to native seems to be no longer there, hence all this "crud" (OK, it may not be crud on the system it was written for, but compared to the native code I still maintain it's crud) being moved over in PASE stays there, and it does NOT run anywhere near as well as native code, and is often a bit*h to debug errors in (ever try to go through joblogs, etc. for those things?)

Is it better to have something run in PASE than not at all? Well, I suppose having crud is better than having nothing. At least that philosophy seems to have served Microsoft well over the years. ;-)

Neil Palmer, Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
(This account not monitored for personal mail,
remove the last two letters before @ for that)