Interesting point.

What if PHP - running in PASE - uses DB2 for all its database files. Your RPG/COBOL applications would read the DB2 database - no need for APIs.

What is wrong with this scenario? It seems like this is a great solution for getting your ERP application to the web with a PHP solution?

----- Original Message ----- From: <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: Saving the System i: Fight Rather Than Switch

The problem is when they don't evolve out of PASE and make it truly
native.  The API's in PASE are limited and suck performance.  That is one
of the major reasons that IBM itself dropped support of i5/os for TSM.
They didn't want to put any more dollars into supporting i5/os and
therefore dropped the platform entirely.  If you want to run TSM on i5 you
now have to load up a Linux or AIX lpar.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Trevor Perry" <tperry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
12/14/2006 11:06 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: Saving the System i: Fight Rather Than Switch

Hey  - that "crud" is someone else's code. Would you like them calling
your
stuff "crud"?

Besides, the System i is the INTEGRATION server. And, if we can run their
applications faster in PASE than they can run native on their server, why
would we NOT bring it over here? IBM brought Notes over to PASE first, and

it was way faster. Then they moved it to native. Why is that a bad thing?

And, isn't it a GOOD idea to run it on the i - then we CAN replace all the

other "crud" servers?

So what if they call it "native" - it helps our world domination.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Neil Palmer" <neilpalmer400mr@xxxxxxxx>