What about the other SPCN cable? I believe that, like HSL, it is cabled in
a "loop". So look for J16(?) also. I don't know how useful it will be, but
you can view SPCN info in Service Tools.

This won't help with your problem, but FYI, HSL is bidirectional. Traffic
flows both ways. In theory, it should keep working if the loop is broken
in one spot (This usually applies anything cabled in a loop, or is that
only FDDI?) There are rules/guidelines for plugging HSL and HSL-2 loops
in, but it mostly deals with plugging the slower devices in at the far end
of the loop, as well as the maximum number of devices, neither of which
affects you (not right now anyway, since you only two devices I presume).
The reason your cables only plug in one way is that they must be HSL-2 to
HSL cables, which have a different connectors. If it was all HSL or HSL-2,
the connectors would be the same. The difference is 1MBps vs. 2MBps (Bytes
per second, not bits), I believe. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm
wrong, I have limited HSL and SPCN experience.

So, hardware or software problem? Tough call. If you open an iSeries
software support call (Software Service Request), they have a category for
the IxA's cousin called "Integrated xSeries Server (IXS,IPCS) for iSeries.
Might be a good place to start; they will kick you over to the right place
if not.
====================================
Tom Kreimer
Information Alternatives

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question to the list about IXA,
cabling and a failure for the resource to be recognized by the System
i.  I have sorted out some of the issues but I still haven't gotten this
resolved.  The resource is now recognized but is fails to become
operational.

Charles Wilt replied with:
It's been awhile since I did an IxA, I don't recall the jumper info you
described.

But IIRC, the HSL loops are directional, both the cables and the ports
themselves have to be connected in the right direction.  The cables have
tags with arrows on them.  The port directionality can be found in the
manual.

Also, the SPCN cabling is a little strange, I remember spending a lot of
time looking at the diagrams till I figured out how it was supposed to
be.

If all else fails, call IBM.

First, the HSL cabling:  The cables are unidirectional, fortunately I
can't connect them in the wrong "direction" since each end has a unique
connector that only plugs in one way.  However, I could have them in the
wrong *order* (I am guessing).  I have them as follows: Cable 1 goes
from the xSeries Port 0 to the HSL port on the System i called "T1".
Cable 2 from the xSeries Port 1 to the HSL port on the System i called
"T2". Is that correct?

Second, the SPCN cabling.  There is a J15 port on the xSeries.  I cabled
this to the SPCN 0 port on the System i.  Is this correct?

Actually, ALL of the cables go to a card in the xServer (the 1519-001
IXA).

The diagrams with the instructions are pretty minimal.  It usually just
says "Make sure the cables are connected correctly and are tight".  Not
much help.

WRKHWDRSC *CMN originally showed the 2689 as "Not Operational" with
resource CC01.  After IPL it shows "Not Detected".  SST shows the
following in the Product Activity Log:

Class . . . . . . . . . . :   Informational
System Ref Code . . . . . :   B6005120
System LIC detected a program exception

Class . . . . . . . . . . :   Informational
System Ref Code . . . . . :   B6005275
URC Information not available

When I look at HSL resources, drilling down a bit I see:

Opt Description              Type-Model Resource Name Status
    Multi-adapter Bridge      2689-      PCI04D       Unknown
    HSL I/O Bridge            2689-      BC02         Operational
    Bus Expansion Adapter     2689-      BCC08        Unknown
    Communications IOP        2689-001   CC01         Unknown

Finally, Charles suggested "Call IBM".  Did that (they have a 24/7
support contract).  They guy at level 1 hardware support said that he
didn't know much about the iSeries and xSeries working together.  He
said he would call the local service representative.  He did that, and
the rep called me and said that he hadn't actually worked on an IXA
before so he wasn't sure where to start.  He did say that we should get
the customer to cut a P.O. so he could fly down here and take a look at
it.  He said that support wasn't for MES, Customer installed
troubleshooting.

Sigh.

Any help on diagnostic steps to take would be helpful.

Thanks,

Pete Helgren