From: M Lazarus [mailto:mlazarus@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 2:30 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Saving the System i: Fight Rather Than Switch

Trevor,

 Having an HTTP server does NOT match my definition of GUI.  I want to
be
able to (at least start to) GUI'ize my applications by using the EXFMT
keyword (maybe w/ some extensions) and not have to have multiple
"threads" within the program whether the client is a browser or green
screen.  This would make a basic browser session within reach of the
average RPG programmer.

 I believe that it would be used FAR more than anything that is
available
now, in short time - giving the applications programs a large facelift.
More sophisticated techniques could be added later, depending on the
user's programming proficiency and the capabilities IBM is will to build
in.  I'm sure that they could tap into many existing routines to get the
job done, so it would be a "from the ground up" effort.

 -mark

Mark,

Most people here know my thoughts on this. GUI can improve
productivity by
30 to 80 percent. And, it costs MORE for green training in today's
modern
world. Data entry is human-error-prone outdated and can be replaced by
myriads of choices. Green screen is simply kept for familiarity and
resistance to change.

I think that the System i can ALREADY be defined as matching the GUI
definition you have - it has an HTTP server. I think it is YOUR
applications
that are not up to speed. That is what is giving the System i the bad
rep
-
not the OS..

Trevor