Van: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]Namens Jones, John (US)
Verzonden: maandag 11 december 2006 15:10
Aan: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Onderwerp: RE: Native GUI (was Saving the System i: Fight Rather Than
Switch)

1. Dumb terminals are a dead end.  It's way past time to move on.  It
doesn't matter if they're more reliable, cheaper, more efficient, or
have other superior traits.  They've lost the battle.  This isn't just
my opinion and I don't say it because terminals don't work for my
situation; it's the opinion of the market.  Goodbye, Betamax.  For those
of you who still use dumb tubes, I have to ask in what way do they NOT
promote the idea of the iSeries being an ugly, old, outdated system?
Also, there're no reasonable capability to support mobile and home-based
workers.  Without raising a lot of concerns over security, buying a lot
of extra equipment, and other things there's no ability to deploy access
via dumb terminal to customers.