From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Raby, Steve
Sent: Monday, December 11, 2006 7:40 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Another One Bites The Dust

I know what you are talking about Robert, we moved over to the
Netherlands because the contract work dried up in the UK. Permanent jobs
were just about all in London or on such a salary that I would have been
hard pushed to afford the trailer park option. The cost of living in the
Netherlands compared to the UK was such that I could afford to take the
permanent job, which lasted 18 months before I got so bored and had to
move on, the last job I had are also getting rid of their iSeries,
mainly because the parent company in the US has an Oracle based system.

Why they are changing here is a mystery, all the people on the shop
floor here like the green screen option, they are just keying in a few
numbers, or using handheld scanners, and a few still have dumb terminals
so they could still work the 3 times the network went down in the 6
months I have been here. I am told the only outage they have had with
the iSeries over the past 15 years was once during a powercut.

Still the bloke in charge wants it so he knows best, right?

Steve