Java and Websphere killing the platform? I dunno...but what it does do is
decouple the hardware/operating system decision from the
platform/application decision. If you choose a package like BPCS (for
example - and I don't work with it so take my comments as an example, not as
gospel), then you've implicitly chosen the i5. And if you are an i5 shop
(and you don't want to switch) and you need an ERP, then you choose
something like BPCS.

But what if the package runs on many platforms cause it's Java based.
Well...now you have choices. Is the i5 the best platform to run that
software? Maybe it is...but you're not locked into it. Unless you're running
an purely RPG package, the i5 customer has more choice than ever before.
They're always had the choice to do a forklift upgrade/change - now they
also have choices like multiple tiers and different application servers and
such.

I'm not a marketing person - I don't know how to sell these boxes. I know
how to make them do what customers need them to do. And I can give my
advice, which is roughly 'do i5 where you have to, do i5 where you can and
can afford to, and do other systems where it makes sense.' I would rather
have all businesses run i5's for the back office systems. Besides keeping me
employed, they are the best systems for transactional processing out there.
And that's what business back office systems do.

On 12/9/06, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John Jones Wrote:

> As I mentioned in another post we need additional capacity
> for running WebSphere App Server.

> I don't need additional capacity for BRMS, iSeries Access,
> and so on.

> Unfortunately when pricing an iSeries solution there's no
> compensating for that...

You've gained a lot of well-deserved credibility on this list John, and
some of us will be interested in how this plays out in your
organization.  Will you migrate the Websphere appications off the platform,
and will it lead to retiring the System i, alltogether?  If so, it would
support the theory that Java and Websphere are killing the platform.

Nathan.