To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 08, 2006 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: Saving the System i: Fight Rather Than Switch

Hi:

The basic point of the rant about what "we" call ourselves is moderately
well taken. However, "we" do not -- all -- work on System i5. This part of
"we" works on an AS/400 running OS/400. I would love to work on a System
i5 server running i5/OS (if that is the correct terminology this week),
and with any luck will have that opportunity in the next year or two.
There are a significant number of people on this list who are in the same
situation as I am.

What are we supposed to say? "No, the System i5 does not have a many-year
track record for reliability, it just came into being recently"? "No,
i5/OS is not the latest in a long line of stable and useful operating
systems, it is relatively new"? It think not. At least, I HOPE not.

Besides, if you bought an Oldsmobile ten years ago, it is still an
Oldsmobile. It did not miraculously morph into a Pontiac or Saturn because
of a General Motors product line announcement.

Darrell