   Mike Pantzopoulos - (H/O) wrote:

 I'm trying to use the following select as a sub select in a CREATE TABLE
 AS (....) statement. In essence I want to create a table using a 20 byte
 field plus all the fields from the $POSTCODE table (actually a DS). The
 resulting table will be populated with another SQL INSERT statement

 select '                    ',   * from $postcode

 Token * was not valid. Valid tokens: ( + - ? : DAY RRN CASE CAST CHAI

 It seems that DB2 doesn't like the asterisk used with another column.
 It's either all the fields and only those fields, or hard-coding?.

 I need to be able to reference the fields from the $POSTCODE DS as I am
 writing a generic application and can't hard-code definitions.

 Is there a way out of this?

   Always :) , Just assign a qualifier to the table:

   Create TABLE library.Table as
    ( Select cast( ' ' as char( 20 ) ) as col_name, doc.*
       From  library.$postcode doc )
   with no data

   hth