Vern

From: "Michael Rosinger" <mrosinger@xxxxxxxxx>

"GDS" wrote in message
news:mailman.54.1165253253.1743.midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In my experience this has not been a concern in the midrange world. The
blanks are there when you display the spool file or when you copy the
spool
file to a database file.

Is this a concern about the storage size of the spool file on the disk?

All,

I suppose my concern is for the proper use of storage and the right way to
do things in the iSeries world. If you tell me that reports that are spooled
have all lines as fixed length, then this is not an issue. In the VSE world,
lines of print that are spooled are variable length. So, while writing one
blank vs. writing 132 blanks accomplishes the same goal as far as the
appearance of the report is concerned, it is an incredible waste of storage
when you multiply that by tens of thousands of lines of print times hundreds
or thousands of reports. And guess who gets called when the pint queues fill
up?

For now, there is no concern with the formatting of the same report that
will be downloaded to another platform, but I will take that under
advisement because it surely could be an issue.

As with most things I've discovered in the iSeries world it handles these
things well and they become non-issues. Coming from the VSE world you can
understand my concern.

--
Regards,

Michael Rosinger