From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of albartell
Sent: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 7:54 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: System i5 now booted!! was ->RE: System i5 first boot

Ok, so through some finagling, twisting and turning I am now logged into
my new System i5!! Whoo hooo!  Special thanks to Alfredo Delgado for
introducing me to nmap as that is what allowed me to discover what IP
address the System i5 grabbed (and it wasn't the one I specified in the
wizard) and then I pointed OpsCons at that and I was in before I knew it
(note that this was after having to reset the QCONSOLE password on the
System i - very interesting process of clicking control panel buttons).

Now, I am trying to setup TCP/IP so I can get other sessions connected
and am having trouble.  I am reading the manual and it is telling me to
use the EZ-Setup Wizard which is currently bombing on me so I am going
at it via the "character based" approach.  Based on the below can
anybody give input?

- I configured a line description successfully (i.e. ETHLIN01) and
pointed it at
- CHGTCPA to change the IP datagram forwarding to be *YES
- Added an interface like the following 192.168.0.27     255.255.255.0
ETHLIN01     *ELAN
- ENDTCP
- STRTCP
Status of *LIN ETHLIN01 is 'FAILED'.
Unexpected error occurred.
192.168.0.27 interface not started.
Job QTCPIP not using '*LIN ETHLIN01'. Reason 40. 128 seconds.

WRKHDWRSC TYPE(*CMN)
Resource        Type  Status                Text
CMB02           268C  Operational           Combined function IOP
  LIN01         6B03  Operational           Comm Adapter
    CMN01       6B03  Operational           Comm Port
  LIN02         6B03  Operational           Comm Adapter
    CMN02       6B03  Operational           Comm Port
CMB03           5706  Operational           Comm Processor
  LIN03         5706  Operational           LAN Adapter
    CMN03       5706  Operational           Ethernet Port
    CMN04       5706  Operational           Ethernet Port
CMB04           2793  Operational           Comm Processor
  LIN04         2793  Operational           Comm Adapter
    CMN05       2793  Operational           Comm Port
    CMN06       2793  Operational           Comm Port

                    Change Line Desc (Ethernet) (CHGLINETH)

Type choices, press Enter.

Line description . . . . . . . . > ETHLIN01      Name

Resource name  . . . . . . . . .   CMN04         Name, *SAME, *NWID,
*NWSD
Online at IPL  . . . . . . . . .   *YES          *SAME, *YES, *NO

Vary on wait . . . . . . . . . .   *NOWAIT       *NOWAIT, 15-180 seconds

Associated port resource name  .   *SAME         Name, *SAME, *NONE

Local adapter address  . . . . .   *ADPT
020000000000-FEFFFFFFFFFF
Group address  . . . . . . . . .   *SAME
010000000000-FDFFFFFFFFFF
               + for more values

Maximum controllers  . . . . . .   40            1-256, *SAME

                         Work with TCP/IP Interfaces

                                                            System:
xxxxxxx
Type options, press Enter.

  1=Add   2=Change   4=Remove   5=Display   9=Start   10=End

     Internet         Subnet              Line      Line

Opt  Address          Mask             Description  Type

     127.0.0.1        255.0.0.0        *LOOPBACK    *NONE

     192.168.0.27     255.255.255.0    ETHLIN01     *ELAN