I'm with Rob--I've got bad twinax memories.  For a console in the same room
as the system, sure, not a big deal.  Not elegant, but it's simple.
There's nothing like trying to figure out what devices are downstream when
you want to move or re-move one terminal or printer in the middle of the
chain.  I REALLY want to forget Perle controllers for remote devices.  Long
live the LAN!

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

                      Darrell A Martin

                      <DMartin@xxxxxxxxxxx        To:       Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      om>                         cc:

                      Sent by:                    Subject:  Geezers and twinax

                      midrange-l-bounces@m

                      idrange.com

                      11/14/2006 09:22 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

Hi:

I think a distinction needs to be made here. There are elders, and there
are doddering elders. Both deserve respect. There are geezers, and then
there are old geezers. At 57 I think I am a geezer, but not an old one. I
walked 5 miles in the Morton Arboretum yesterday, after work, and did it
in street shoes in 1:20. And that was after part of my day was spent going
up and down stairs and a stepladder, at relatively high speed, helping fix
a hardware failure that knocked out every last network switch in the
building.

We have a few doddering 3196 dumb terminals scattered about the production
area, both of our consoles are twinax based, and a key machine in the I.T.
department is also twinax. Everybody else runs iSeries Access or
Wintronix. Guess which connections to the AS/400 stayed up? [grin]

In case anyone is interested, the switches were knocked out when I tried
to trace the single standard gauge grounded extension cord that was
plugged into one of our larger UPSs which had started beeping. The cord
was unusually warm, obviously a concern. Halfway down the wire rack I gave
a gentle tug to get the cord out where I could see it a bit better, and
all six HP ProCurves went dark. The pull was just enough to finish the job
of the input plug failing on the *single* cheap power strip that was
handling our entire network infrastructure. (Installed by a "former
administration".)

When everything is set up right, both hardware and software, then IP-based
stuff is fine. When you are like us, an alternative is very useful ...
sometimes, it is just true that Twinax Is Our Friend.

Darrell

Darrell A. Martin  -  630-754-2187
Manager, Computer Operations
dmartin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx