Once you get current, keeping current isn't bad.  Once a month I use Fix
Central to download updates.  Select "Groups, HIPERS, Cumes".  When
presented with the list of groups, click the first one after the Cume
(should be HIPERs) and shift-click the last one in the list.  For V5R3
that's 25 groups.  Do the option to only download the PTFs that aren't
already on the machine.

I'm too lazy to mess with the CD image catalogs so I just do the above
on each of our LPARs.  Some things are downloaded multiple times (once
for each LPAR) but in the end bandwidth is cheaper than my time.  It
also means I don't have to even think about the variances in LPPs on
each LPAR; all LPARs get anything they could possibly need.

Average d/l per LPAR varies but I'd say it'll run around
500-800MB/month/LPAR.  If you've any kind of decent internet pipe it
won't take that long.  Average time/month/LPAR is 3-5 minutes; just long
enough to sign on the Fix Central and do the selection.  The d/l runs in
the background and I ignore it.

Unfortunately I can't do the above for Cumes.  So once or twice a year
I'll pull the CD images down once and FTP to all of the machines, create
the image catalog, etc.  It's a lot more hassle than the Groups but is
still easier than handling physical media (one of our machines is 8
miles from me; the other is about 30 miles away).  I don't worry much
about the Cumes as most things that are likely to impact us will be
included in the Groups.

John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer
Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.